Tuesday, March 3, 2009

No sick day for you!

As I sit here with my Sleepy Time tea, saltines and roll of toilet paper (we're out of tissues) I am fondly reflecting on my "Ferris Bueller" days. When I was little, if I stayed home sick from school, my family called me "Ferris". I remember when being sick involved curling up in bed, turning on the boob-tube, and napping as the moment so inspired me. What I've learned this week, however, is that being sick with a baby in tow is no Bueller day at all.

Regardless of my snotty nose and scratchy cough this morning, I still had to roll out of bed at 6:00am to greet a bright and bubbly Livija. I hoped to grab a few moments of zoned out peace as she played in her jumperoo; but, eventually that wore off and sick Mommy had to find ways to entertain Livija without touching, kissing, or breathing on her too hard.

Even though I was on the brink of laryngitis, I found myself reading "Pat the Bunny" 10 times this afternoon, in addition to 9 other books as I tried to calm my savage reader who grunts anxiously if I have not selected the "right" book. Additionally, today was the first day in weeks that Livija decided she just didn't want a nap between 2pm and 7:30pm. 5 and half hours of awake time would drain a perfectly healthy Mom, let alone a Mom who feels like her chest is going to cave in.

Night time is the worst. When you're a Mommy you can't take NyQuil or another sleep medicine...it just doesn't feel right. Instead, you lay awake most of the night praying for your nasal passages to clear up so that you can steal a few minutes of sleep before you have to start the whole routine all over again. The best part is as you're getting ready to go to bed, your husband announces that he's getting up at 5am to go to the gym. Because you're a good wife, you don't object - but you know that means that you'll be up at 5am too, and that last hour of precious sleep will be lost.

They aren't kidding when they say you're life will change when you have a baby. Right down to the sick days. God I miss sitting in a pile of tissues all by myself!!!!

2 comments:

Kristen Wilson Syrek said...

I remember when Wilson was about 4 months old and I had a stomach bug -- a bad one. He was crying,the dog was barking and Jeff was shopping. I wanted to die. Sometimes it sucks to be the mom. No one's left to take care of you.

Jeff didn't think it was so bad until he started getting sick. I was in another room laughing. It was a litte justice.

Anonymous said...

I just wrote about this... and I am so with you!