Sunday, December 28, 2008

Shopaholic no more...

I am a recovering Shopaholic. I didn't enter recovery willingly. As many stay at home Moms do, I went cold turkey when I decided to stay home with Livi. I must say, it's been pretty tough. I get my fixes by buying formula and pacifiers, which I imagine is the equivalent of a crack addict inhaling household cleaning fluids to get them through the day. What makes it harder, is that there are no groups for people like me. No rehab facilities. No local S.A. (i.e., Shopaholics Anonymous). Just plain old will power, and love so strong it's willing to give up Tory Burch flats for poop.

It started really early for me. On any family trip or vacation, no matter where we were, most of the time focused on finding Lisa a "gift shop" to rummage through, or a mall to wander in. I even recall making my parents stop at every roadside antique lawn sale on the way back from a vacation in Maine because I just HAD to get my fix of price tags, merchandise, and treasures. Yup, shopping was life.

I don't think it was any surprise to my family or friends when I ended up with a job in Human Resources at Bloomingdale's, or that most of my income over the years magically transformed into the likeness of shoes, handbags, coats, and Home Goods "stuff." (Seriously, who invented Home Goods anyway? Even when you go there with absolutely NO intention to buy, you mysteriously wander out with a random pillow or vase, like someone slipped you Ruffies on the way in).


Admittedly, I was also a brand snob. Cosmetics, cars, clothes, accessories....you'd never catch me buying anything generic, and a knock off was pretty shameful (although I did do that a few times). It made me cringe when my husband came home all proud of himself because he bought himself jeans at Sears (at SEARS!!!), and if you EVER tried to convince me that I should buy a Hyundai or a Kia because they were the best car for the money, I may have just vomited in your face.


My how things have changed. Since quitting my job and deciding to stay home with Livija, I am suddenly the Queen of Frugal, and I think I may be inches away from being one of "those" ladies on a Christmas Tree Shop commercial who is psyched that she just found wrapping paper for only $.49.

Yesterday, I found myself in CVS picking through the after Christmas sale. I was knocking elbows with some intense Russian woman for the rights to a 50% off bowl with snowmen on it (she won, thank god...I'm not sure what came over me). If that wasn't bad enough, I walked out of there with a generic CVS brand facial moisturizer. No more Trish McEvoy Beauty Booster at $85.00 a pop. I brought home moisturizer so cheap it doesn't even have a pump.


The last thing I want to do is sound like a snob; but, the transition from small luxuries to figuring out how to give free Christmas gifts is not only a lifestyle adjustment; but, a hit to my pride. Giving up financial independence has been almost as life altering as having a baby. Furthermore, when I stop in a department store (just to get those old feelings back) I realize that I have no place to wear all of the wonderful things I find. Those knee high, suede boots with kitten heels? Where am I going to sport those? The CVS after Valentine's Day sale?

I miss my Shopaholic days; but, I wouldn't trade what I have now for Beauty Booster. Livija's showing me a whole new beauty, and she doesn't care what label I wear or how much I bought it for. I'm safe until she's a teenager.

No comments: