Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Daydreamer

Everyone tells you that the first months of your newborns life are the most precious...the most amazing...and the most memorable. They tell you not to miss one moment, to soak up the wonder of it all, and to look down upon your baby with an unparalleled adoration. I'm beginning to believe that "everyone's" babies must have pulled out some mind eraser contraption like they do in the movie "Men in Black" and forever eliminated all memories of hair pulling, drool inducing, sleepless nights because I'm in the middle of it right now, and I'm telling you, this is far from heaven.

I am caught in the oh-so-heavenly middle of deciding whether or not to let our little one cry it out, or to let her continue with her unfortunately horrible sleep habits until she figures it out on her own. I'm beginning to think instead of doing cry it out (which apparently only lasts a few days and you and baby forget the whole ordeal fairly quickly), that maybe it would be much more fun to endure this painful period, let my little Livi torture us endlessly, and then wait for the perfect moment of revenge.

Maybe it will be when she's a teenager and she has just wrecked the family car, or gotten caught smoking pot. Instead of grounding her, I will lovingly send her to bed, smile at her from ear to ear and wait until she is in a sound slumber. At the perfect moment I'll whip out the cymbals and the drums and dance around like a banshee in her room. I won't just do this for one night, I'll do it for several. And just as we experience now, I'll give her a week of peace and make her believe that maybe, just maybe, the torture has ended. Then, when she least expects it, I'll start the whole darn ritual all over again. When she looks at me in horror, pillow pulled over her head, asking "Why, Why!!???" I'll just continue dancing and scream over my cymbals, "Payback's a bitch!"

I know this sounds pretty vindictive and, I'll admit, totally unrealistic. At the end of the day I completely understand that her lack of sleep is not her fault, and that she is just as miserable as we are. But, the daydream is kind of fun, and right now whatever puts a smile on this exhausted face is entirely worth it.

No comments: