Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Today was historic. The first African-American President of the United States was sworn in to office, and our country swarmed the Washington D.C mall in unprecedented numbers to celebrate the occasion. As Barack Obama took the oath of office, my sweet Livija contentedly commemorated the moment by eating her toes.I hoped that we might watch the ceremony together. I envisioned her sitting on my lap, mesmerized by Barack Obama's voice, and somehow understanding that the first year of her life would most probably be a year that marked change for generations to come. Instead, as luck would have it, she began to grunt and rub her eyes at exactly 11:55am.

Fortunately, Livija cooperated and went down for her nap quickly and peacefully as I soaked in every word of his masterful speech. While watching, I couldn't help but wonder what the future holds for my sweet Livija. Will she live in a world of peace? Will she have a female President? Will she drive an electric car and own a home fueled by the sun?

Today I felt great hope for Livija. I can't wait to see what she contributes to the world one day (beyond eating her feet).

No comments: